Thursday, September 4, 2008

Allergy worries

My fears of sending my little guy off to preschool aren't of the usual variety. I know he'll have a great time with the activities and classmates there. I am more worried that I'll get the dreaded phone call of either "he's at the ER" or "he's swelling to a giant hive, please come help." Aaron's allergies aren't usually an issue in our day to day lives- they just require me to pre-think most outings. (any more I should say, but I've been doing it for three years) But since I'm in control of what he eats I'm okay with it. And the playgroups and friends we have are all so understanding and it isn't usually an issue. Even church has changed the snacks to "Aaron friendly" food after we had a reaction once. But at school it's a whole new ballgame.

I thought I was fine with it all and then I attended orientation. This put Aaron's mind at ease, but riled mine up big time. When I sat down with the teacher to explain all that he's allergic to and that no contact of any kind can happen she got the "eyes popping out of her head look" that I oh, so hate. Not that she isn't totally capable and willing to make accommodations, but she just is new to it all and learning.

Trust has to be earned with me and it takes time. So the teacher starts off with a small amount of trust and each time we talk she'll earn more and more. In fact after the first class she earned major points with me. (Though one of Mike's and my fears was actualized at the same time) I picked him after day one on Tuesday and she said she had a minor freak out with snack time. There are 10 kids in Aaron's class and there were 9 yogurts brought for snack!! My skin started to crawl at that point. An adult eating yogurt- no problem. We don't drip on our chin, drip to our arms/legs and wipe it across our shirt or table. We don't talk with our hands and unknowingly send yogurt across the table..... Our plan had been to put Aaron at a table with no milk products but how do you do that with 9 yogurts? Mrs. Martin is a quick thinker (brownie points awarded here) and sat him at a third table- the train table. Granted he's the only kid there, but she did sit with him for company and he can still converse with the other kids. And best thing is- no yogurt to attack him!! (This, though, is what Mike and I fear- an ostracized child at meal times for school) Anyway, so she earned trust there and I'm sure it will only go up from there.

There are the small things with preschool you don't think about. When they do a craft with any type of food- I need to be notified and either okay the food (highly unlikely) or provide a substitute that he can have. I also worry about the general contamination from food contact. From our trips to family and friends we have almost always after 4 or so days started a reaction. Whether it be a rash or the usual blowout diarrhea for days afterwards. And this isn't from him eating the food or directly touching the food- just touching toys/furniture/people that have touched the food. Ugh.

This is a learning lesson from God for me and I understand that. I am a control woman- you have to be when you have a child with such food allergies. I am willing and learning how to give trust and control to others who love my child and look out for him. Every day we look at Aaron and think what a blessing to have such a wonderful healthy child so I know this rant may seem so trivial to other moms with bigger fish to fry. But thanks for letting me get my worries out there and I'll keep you informed about phone calls from school I may get...

Next time you are making a meal for your family or sending a snack to school read over all the ingredients and see whats in it. Think of other families and be a bit more sympathetic to the mom at preschool who is nervous- she may have more on her mind.

Mom to a child who is allergic to dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, egg, pork, beef and shellfish.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ugh. That would be hard. Meredith's preschool was a no nut school when she went there but nothing was ever said about yogurt. It sounds like his teacher is giving it her all which is good. Good luck!